Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Beauty...Aromatherapy...


Marco and I were driving around town and it began to rain. I had some of my mailboxes and joy boxes to deliver to someone and Marco decided to take me. As we drove, it began to rain a bit. We drove through a neighborhood that was lined with eucalyptus trees. The smell was so refreshing! It reminded me of the aromatherapy oils that they have in the day spa that I visited.
Ah...so good. Totally awakened my senses. I've always loved the scent...even love to use the other type when I make wreaths or swags, but I was curious about its benefits and decided to look it up.
Here's what I found from HowStuffWorks:
Highly antiseptic, eucalyptus has long been a household remedy in Australia for treating everything from flu, fever, and sore throat to skin and muscle pain. Most liniments and vapor rubs contain it or eucalyptol, one of its principal constituents. It is the most popular essential oil steam for relieving sinus and lung congestion such as asthma. Inhale the steam as described on page 73, add one or two drops of oil to a compress, or put three or four drops in your bath. Especially appropriate for skin eruptions and oily complexions, it is also used for acne, and chicken pox. Do not use for an asthma attack.
For a homemade preparation, mix eucalyptus essential oil with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and dab on problem areas. This mix can also be used as an antiseptic on wounds, boils, and insect bites.
The scent increases brain wave activity and counters physical and mental fatigue. Carry eucalyptus with you on long car trips, or smell it to help you study. International Flavors and Fragrances, Inc., a research and development corporation in New Jersey, found that sniffing eucalyptus increases your energy.
Wow! No wonder I felt that way. Seriously. I was energized, my sinus' cleared a bit and it even lifted my mood. I told my husband that I would love to have access to these leaves for when I need a natural pick-me-up! I got to thinking about how the eucalyptus made me feel. All the positive energy I felt just driving through the area. I wondered if I could be more like the eucalyptus trees. How do I act around others? Am I uplifting? Do I leave positive energy? Have you ever heard someone say that they enjoyed being with someone because they were so "refreshing" to be around? I want to be refreshing. I want to be different. My beauty for the day was not really something I could see...but more of something that I could smell. How do you feel about eucalyptus? Even if the scent is too strong for you, you might want to try to be more like it and help to renew the energy of those around you - not zap it! Have a great week!

No comments: