Friday, January 9, 2009

Beauty in Friendship...


Melissa, Erin and I. I made some of my dearest friends at college.

Romans 14:19 says, "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
Proverbs 27:17 says, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."
The Bible also says that to have a friend, you must be a friend. If you are going to be a friend - you need to learn the previous two verses.
We need to follow after peace - that means we don't need to start drama, stir the pot, gossip...whatever you want to call it. It isn't right and it's not healthy for any relationship.
Edify one another - to edify means to build up. Are you building your friends up or are you tearing them down? I love to laugh. I tend to have a sarcastic type of humor. I have had to learn that I need to sometimes tone my teasing or jokes down. I was hurting my friends, unknowingly, and I was not building them up. Friends don't take little stabs at each other and joke it off. Now, don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with laughing at one's self or laughing WITH someone else. It becomes a problem (which usually stems from insecurity) if you are always the one doing the teasing.
Iron sharpens iron - As the proper tool shapes and sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend morally and intellectually by their personal friendship.
I always tell my daughters that if you can't come away from time with your friends and all of you be the better for it, then you need to change what you're doing with them or change your friends.
I remember having friends in high school or college that I'd lie for or we'd scheme to do this or that... This is not true friendship. I was not helping them and they certainly were not helping me.
Friends don't have to agree on everything, nor do they have to be alike in every area. Friends should compliment each other, bring out the best in each other.
A friend makes you a better person.

I got to spend some time with some pretty awesome people tonight. The Miranda's invited a few of us over for dinner. We had a great time of food, fun and fellowship.

Miriam is being silly, as usual. Love you girl!

Robert and Lorany...they're like family to us. =]

2 comments:

Lee said...

Amen! I'm so grateful for my friends, they may be few, but they're true :) Thanks for the reminder - I give my kids very similar advice as mine comes without verses ;)

Rachel Ballenger said...

Thank you for being MY friend, Sherry.
Love you so very much.
Rachel