Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Today, I am thankful for...automatic washers and dryers.


I know, it seems pretty basic...but just think how much more we would appreciate them if something happened to the ones we now use.
I am up late even though I am exhausted. I came home from church and realised that Naomi needed a clean shirt for school (uniform) and Marco needed a few things washed too.
It seems like the wash is always going with a family of six! We go through detergent so fast. I really don't mind doing laundry and folding. It's the putting away that I hate. We really don't have adequate dresser space so it makes for a pretty tedious job. Nevertheless, I am grateful that all I have to do is pop some clothes into the machine, add the appropriate detergent/softeners, close the lid and push a button.
I remember watching a young boy wash his jeans by hand in Mexico when we were there for a mission trip. He had a big 'ole bar of soap and he stood over a large outdoor sink with his jeans and a washboard. It did not look fun at all!
I also remember, as a young girl in Korea, going down to the river with my aunts to do laundry. Of course, my cousins and I played on the river bed the whole time - but I can still remember how hard they had to work!
I am thankful that I have such a nice set of washer and dryer and I am so glad that I have access to this modern day convenience!

No comments: