Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Oh, man. Let's give it up for bacon!!


Before I get into the recipe or pictures, can I just say that for the last 2 weeks or so, I've stuck with the work outs AND I have been eating as PRIMAL as I know how and I got on the scale to find that I've lost 10 pounds. Yup! Couldn't believe it. I have been reading a lot about the Paleo and Primal way of eating and I realised that it really is the healthiest and best choice for me. I am still new to it and learning every day, but the things that I have cut out of my diet entirely are grains of any kind, processed foods, sugar, and any legume. I have been enjoying dairy in moderation. Usually it is in the form of cheese and of course butter!
I feel stronger and feel a little bit of room in my clothes, but we'll see. I know that at first, the pounds may come off quickly and then taper off. That's okay. I want it to be realistic and lasting.
So, here we go...this is what I made for my family of 6 hearty eaters plus 1 happy visitor.

I made Seasoned Shrimp wrapped in Bacon and Stuffed Zucchini Boats. There are various recipes on line for the zucchini, but I changed mine up a bit to my taste and of course did not include bread crumbs like most of the recipes called for.


Shrimp wrapped with bacon....
1 lb. fresh, cleaned raw shrimp (large to jumbo work best)
1 package of uncured bacon (Trader Joe's or Whole Foods have good options)
Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic, Mrs. Dash...really it's whatever you like best! This is what I had on hand. =)
1.) In a bowl, mix your shrimp and seasonings (I left tails on, by the way).
2.) Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to let the seasonings marinade the shrimp.
3.) Cut your bacon in half and then again lengthwise.
4.) Take your shrimp and wrap each one with a piece of bacon. Just spiral it around the shrimp.
5.) Grill on skillet until bacon is cooked on each side. The shrimp will be a bright pink and no longer gray in color.
6.) Enjoy!

Zucchini Boats
4 zucchini squash (approx. 7 inches long)
1 lb. ground meat of your choice (turkey, beef, pork...)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp of italian seasoning mix (of course you can use fresh or dried mix of oregano/basil)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce ( I used a spicey brand called El Pato)
1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese
Salt to taste (I didn't really add any)

1.) Cut squash in half lengthwise.
2.) Scoop out the middle. You can use a melon baller or small spoon to do this.
3.) Brown meat, onion and garlic in a frying pan until fully cooked.
4.) Drain and add your seasonings and Worcestershire sauce. Make sure you get it evenly blended.
5. ) Fill up boats with meat mixture and arrange in glass baking dish.
6.) Cover evenly with tomato sauce and top with cheese.
7.) Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. You can even take it out 5 minutes early, top it with a little more cheese and then pop it under the boiler for about 2 minutes to get a nice brown crisp to the cheese. =) Yum.
If I get an Italiany craving, I am going to make it again. Well, to be honest, I am going to make it again after I buy more zucchini at the Farmers' Market. =) I may add diced mushrooms to the meat mixture. The kids loved it. Hubby loved it...even Kristian, our impromptu visitor, loved it!

1 comment:

shellie said...

Bacon defintely makes EVERYTHING better...yum!