Saturday, February 2, 2008

Blog Challenge - Favorite Book/CD



SS Blog challenge:
Imagine that you have just joined a club. It is a FAVORITES book/cd club. When it is your time to make a suggestion you should suggest a book and cd that is your favorite –the one that you really connect with.Your goal is not to please the group but to convey something about yourself with your selection. Select the one book that you really connect with for whatever reason. Select the album/cd that you would keep if you were only allowed one for the rest of your life.Along with your selection please explain why.


This one is really tough for me. I mean, I love the idea of choosing a book selection for a book club, but choosing a book that I really connect with and convey something about myself in the selection? That's a little more difficult. I LOVE books. I LOVE reading. Do I always connect with what I read? No. Well, a challenge is a challenge. So I thought long and hard. All week to be exact. Here is what I've decided.


Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maude Montgomery. I know, I know. Some of you may wonder why I am choosing a book that seems more intended for younger readers. The truth is that I just love the main character. Anne Shirley. Her adventures begin in Anne of Green Gables and do not end in Anne of Avonlea. She is comical, bright, a dreamer, a teacher, romantic, stubborn, determined, big hearted... When I read the book, I am taken back to a more simple time. I am taken back to a beautiful place and love reading about a young orphan girl who becomes a young lady, a teacher, a writer... I love her idea of a bosom friend and kindred spirits. I love that she loves Gilbert so much, yet fights with him relentlessly. It's a good read.


The CD selection was just as hard. I really don't buy CD's. I am more of an iTunes girl. The only CD's I own are Josh Groban, Michael Buble, Mercy Me, Norah Jones, and Clay Aiken. What is that? 5 CD's? The rest are soundtracks to motion pictures, broadway shows...hey, wait a minute. I know...


My CD would be the Soundtrack to Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. It takes the music from the movies that were made from those books, by Hagood Hardy (incredible Canadian composer) and makes the story come alive as you listen to it. I could listen to it every day and not tire of it.

5 comments:

Judy said...

Great choice! I would definitely include L.M. Montgomery on my Top 10 list of authors. I just re-read some of the Anne books a couple of months ago.

Joan Robertson said...

Great job! I have enjoyed reading everyone's blogs this week. I think our choices really do say something about who we are. I haven't read any of the Anne books but I think I will now.

Unknown said...

I'm with you! I recently started re-reading the series. I'm on Anne of Windy Poplars right now. :)

Sherry said...

Beth - you are half way! =] I even got the boys in some of my classes to enjoy the movies. LOL

michellek said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who chose a "younger" book for the challenge. I love these books - and have just started a re-read of the LMM Diaries too.

Hmmmm....think I need to get my Anne books out again now.