Thursday, July 8, 2010

What a day...

Today was a day jam packed with emotions. My day started very early with a call that my dear friend and church member delivered a beautiful, healthy baby girl while the rest of the world slept. I was so excited and happy for the couple. This is their first and we've been waiting a good while to meet her.

I would've gotten myself together to head right out to see them, but my daughter had a big day planned with a few of her best girlfriends. I was to be the lucky chaperone, as they are all too young to drive. We spent a wonderful day at the Mission Inn, looking through antique shops, and having a yummy lunch together. For me, it was a chance to watch my daughter interact with her friends and to see her truly happy and free.

After a great time with them and dropping them off at home, Hannah and I headed home.

I didn't even get out of the car. My husband slid into the driver's seat as he and I went to the hospital to visit the new baby.

She is absolutely perfect. Just beautiful. Mommy got to the hospital early this morning and had the baby about 30 minutes later. Can you believe it? Wow. It was a joyful time, to say the least. We bid them goodbye and continued to talk of the baby's sweetness as we left the hospital.
From there we went to another hospital nearby where another member of ours is just starting chemotherapy. He went in a while back to get his eye checked, because of pain and swelling, and from there found out that he has cancer in his eye, his stomach and more I believe. While he was in the hospital having stress tests done to see if he could endure some of the medications, he had a heart attack. I just felt so bad for him. He doesn't have a whole lot family.
So, we stayed with him for a bit and my husband and I prayed with him and shared some comforting words. He has great difficulty talking because of the tumor in his head. He will be getting transported to another hospital for radiation to his eye and then return again.
I share all of this with you to tell you...no, remind you that we are all at a different stage in our lives. I have recently been talking with people who are dealing with marital issues, drug abuse, joblessness, family hurts... People are hurting out there, but there is also joy. New babies, weddings, engagements, families reunited...

None of us know how long we are here on this earth. What are you doing with your time here? We all make a difference...but is it positive or negative? Are you letting yourself get worked up over the little things? Are you being true to yourself and those around you? Are you taking the time to really appreciate what you do have? Are you sharing the Gospel with anyone?
Just some things to think about...I know that it has given me reason to pause.
James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

1 comment:

shirley said...

Such true words - we are each at a different stage of life - what we do with that stage is what makes the difference. Thanks for reminding me!